Chaldean News Beat Reporter
About the Chaldean News
The Chaldean News is a subsidiary of the Chaldean Community Foundation (CCF). The Foundation improves stability, health and wellness of those we serve through advocacy, acculturation, community development and cultural preservation.
The CCF is seeking a Chaldean News Beat Reporter to join its Farmington Hills location. The ideal candidate should have extensive journalism, writing and communications experience with an understanding of the Chaldean community.
The Reporter will effectively investigate and write engaging, relevant stories for the Chaldean News and related CCF/CACC publications, in print and online formats. In this role, you will report to the managing editor and be responsible for timely submission of copy, photos and any other materials needed for timely and accurate publication. You should possess a full understanding of all technical requirements for print and online publishing.
Main Job Tasks and Responsibilities
- Participate on the editorial advisory board.
- Be self-driven, motivated, smart, curious, an excellent listener and storyteller.
- Collaborate with managing editor and editorial team to ensure content is in keeping with mission.
- Engage with the Metro Detroit Chaldean community in search of interesting news stories relevant to the Chaldean community.
- Cover key organizations such as city halls, police precincts, school boards, churches and non-profits to discover and break relevant news stories.
- Get to know key influencers in the community and develop confidential sources overtime.
- Ability to “connect the dots” — to understand and convey the relevant and underlying themes beyond the particulars of any given story.
- Write provocative and engaging feature stories to inspire conversations and engagement.
- Apply and maintain a consistent tone throughout journalistic publications.
- Meet with members of the Chaldean Community to interview and capture content for editorial pieces.
- Compose pieces that cover and contribute to the overall Chaldean experience.
- Work with editor to determine required elements of each story, ensuring content is well researched and supported.
- Ensure the CN’s editorial standards are met and all relevant copyrights, local and legal guidelines are adhered to.
- Excellent grammar and spelling skills; must be able to copy-edit your own work as well as others’.
- Engaging story-telling skills with an ability to turn a phrase, write a catchy headline and tell the story in a nut graph.
- Excellent personal presentation, communication skills and overall tact.
- Meet deadlines and help ensure on-time, flawless delivery.
- Perform other job-related tasks as assigned.
- Excellent composition and editing skills.
- Creative and highly adept at capturing narratives and experiences, particularly relating to culture.
- Basic photography skills and understanding of image resolution requirements.
- Chaldean or Arabic language proficiency preferred.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Journalism, Communications or related field.
- Minimum of three years of experience creating published editorial or journalistic work.
- Self-motivated and able to work independently to complete projects on time without daily supervision; high degree of initiative and detail.
- High proficiency in Microsoft Office suite of products, particularly Word, PowerPoint and Excel.
- Must be able to work flexible hours as needed, including evenings and weekends, to cover events.
- Photoshop/InDesign/Illustrator, basic knowledge of video editing a plus.
Candidates should e-mail a current resume to firstname.lastname@example.org and include “Chaldean News Beat Reporter” in the subject line.