Evening Citizenship Instructor
The Chaldean Community Foundation (CCF) improves the stability, health and wellness of those we serve through advocacy, acculturation, community development and cultural preservation.
The Foundation is seeking a Citizenship Instructor to join its Sterling Heights location part time, Monday through Thursday from 5:30 p.m. until 8:30 p.m. arriving a half an hour beforehand for classroom preparation. The ideal candidate is fluent in English and Arabic, with an understanding of the Chaldean community and the plight of Iraqi Christians. Night hours may be required.
To teach all aspects of the Citizenship Instruction Curriculum which teaches legal permanent residents the U.S. Naturalization process. This includes Reading, Writing, 100 U.S. Civics questions, understanding the N-400 application and understanding basic commands in English.
Main Job Tasks and Responsibilities
- Plan lessons twice a week for 10 weeks that cover all aspects of the Citizenship curriculum.
- Prep and check class materials.
- Administer Pre and Posttests to students.
- Make follow-up phone calls to students that were absent from class.
- Record and report all client activities with a high level of accuracy and detail, including daily attendance.
- Available to work some mornings and possibly evenings (as substitute for evening instructor).
Education and Experience
- Associates degree in adult education related field with one year of Adult ESL teaching experience or TESOL Certification; Bachelors degree preferred.
- Must have a valid Michigan Driver’s License and appropriate insurance.
- Knowledge of the N-400 application.
- Knowledge of all requirements needed to become a U.S. Citizen.
- Knowledge of basic computer skills.
- Fluent in Arabic, Chaldean language proficiency also preferred.
- Ability to provide an emotionally stable environment for clients.
- Ability to work with diverse populations including children and families.
- Appreciation of cultural background, heritage and identity of client.
- Ability to keep confidential information.
- Professional personal presentation.
- Information management.
- Organizing and planning.
- Attention to detail.
- Stress tolerance
- Ability to teach a multi-level classroom.
Candidates should e-mail a current resume to firstname.lastname@example.org and include “Evening Citizenship Instructor” in the subject line.