The Chaldean Community Foundation (CCF) improves the stability, health and wellness of those we serve through advocacy, acculturation, community development and cultural preservation. Core programs include: Department of Education, Citizenship, Immigration Services, Social Services, Career Services, and Behavioral Health.
The Foundation is seeking a bi-lingual Immigration Attorney to join its Sterling Heights location. The ideal candidate is fluent in English, Arabic and/or Chaldean/Aramaic with an understanding of the Chaldean community and the plight of Iraqi Christians. Night and weekend hours may be required.
Assist clients by providing legal consultation related to immigration matters and in pursuing social services related to immigration, as well as other services offered through the CCF including: unemployment, job placement/career counseling, English as a second language (ESL), housing, transportation, financial aid, mental health services and medical care.
Main Job Tasks and Responsibilities
• Conduct client intake interviews and assessments.
• Assess eligibility for immigration benefits and explain eligibility and procedure to the client.
• Provide legal advice in Immigration related matters.
• Accompany clients to legal proceedings related to immigration matters, including USCIS appearances.
• Prepare adjustment of status applications (I-485, I-765, I-90, N-400, N-600, N-565, etc.) and supporting documentation.
• Assist clients with the completion of citizenship applications, work authorization, adjustment of status, and other immigration benefits.
• Research and stay current on immigration policies and issues.
• Write cover-letters and immigration-briefs in support of immigration benefits sought.
• Follow up on case outcome with clients and USCIS.
• Maintain knowledge of a variety of services offered or secured including immigration, unemployment, job placement/career counseling, English as a second
language (ESL), Citizenship, housing, transportation, financial aid, mental health services and medical care.
• Secure translation services for clients as needed.
• Record and report all client activities with a high level of accuracy, detail and confidentiality.
• Direct clients to other resources or social service agencies as needed.
• Serve as an advocate on behalf of clients.
• Other duties as assigned
Education and Experience
• Juris Doctor degree from an accredited college or university.
• Admission to any state bar or the Washington D.C. bar.
• Requires 1 – 2 years of experience as an Attorney which may be substituted for prior employment as a Paralegal.
• Outstanding legal research, writing and public speaking skills preferred.
• Dedication to providing high quality legal assistance and capable of handling complex legal issues on behalf of low-income immigrant population.
• Demonstrated accuracy and attention to detail relating to the completion of forms.
• Commitment to providing service to immigrants and compassion for the issues faced by the low-income and refugee community.
• Knowledge of concepts including consular processing, adjustment of status, immediate relative, priority dates, petition for alien relative, deportation/removal defense, and other general immigration law.
• Familiarity with USCIS, National Visa Center (NVC), InfoPass, and other immigration-related departments.
• Candidate must be bi-lingual, Arabic and or Chaldean/Aramaic speaking.
• Chaldean speaking is preferred but not required.
• Must have a valid Michigan Driver’s License and appropriate insurance.
• DOJ Accreditation
• Strong comprehension of Chaldean and/or Arabic language
• Strong communication and writing skills
• Ability to provide an emotionally stable environment for clients
• Ability to work with diverse populations including children and families
• Appreciation of the cultural background, heritage and identity of client
• Ability to keep confidential information
• Professional personal presentation
• Information management
• Organizing and planning
• Attention to detail
• Stress tolerance
Candidates should e-mail a current resume to firstname.lastname@example.org and include “Immigration Attorney” in the subject line.